Monday, August 25, 2008

Le Week-end a Chez Moi...


(The Week-End at My House)

So Friday dawned and I could not have been more excited. This was going to be a day to remember! I had two of my aunties here, my fur was shining in the Riviera sun, Grandling had her wallet out...all was well!

After petit-dejeuner (breakfast) by the pool we dressed and headed out to the single most important place in France to my mother. I'm not joking. La Bastide St-Antoine is my mother's obsession. She talks about it almost daily, tears up when she hears the name, and sometimes waxes on about having her wedding there.

Yea. Right. Like I'm going to let my mom get married. Where would I put all my things if we had to make room for a man?

My Aunties were looking very French that day. I was excited to be seen with them.



We arrived at the place of perfection and were ushered to one of the best seats in the house. And the courses began...there were six. I did in fact say six. You order three and then the chef surprises you with three others in between the ones you've chosen. In the midst of all of this, a stunning porcelin bowl was brought out to the table...pour moi. That's right, folks. They were serving me. This is the life.

We enjoyed our meal for well over three hours. We even celebrated Auntie Rachel's birthday.
(Look 10-40!! We brought the birthday sunglasses!)

The setting of La Bastide is astounding. And of course I only added to its beauty. Just before we left, world-famous head chef Jacques Chibois asked if I would stay and continue to make his establishment even more parfait. It was a very hard decision ... I told him, like my Auntie Amelia taught me, I'd have to pray about it.
We had to be wheeled out of La Bastide. I was a wee bit ashamed of the amount of food my humans had consumed but I let it go. After all, we're in France. I have to allow them a little bit of room here.

Next up was another favorite of my mom's: Fragonard! If you think I smell good you should take a whiff of this place. Grasse is the perfume capital of the world. Fragonard is one of the best places to go in Grasse...and my mommy couldn't wait to share it with her aunties.

I really could not choose for the life of me the perfect scent. Because I AM THE PERFECT SCENT. But I guess we all need souvenirs.

That evening we retreated back to the villa b/c they ... well, really, I...needed a drink. Auntie Rachel treated us all to a famous champagne and cassis mixture called Kir Royale. I won't lie. I got trashed. How unrefined of me.

Mom and the aunties sat outside on the porch taking in the stunning views and eating onion tarts. You could say my mommy was in heaven. I was, too, but I was too buzzed to really remember it.

And thus began my first weekend in the South of France. How on earth could it ever get better?

And yet...I think that it will.

Love & Licks,
The Mae
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment