Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Because Dudes Dig Chicks Who Hike

Listen, I'm not ashamed of playing up my strongest points. But here's the problem: I have about a million of them. Look at me, people. I'm stunning. I get emotional just looking at myself. I can only imagine what it is like for you.

That said, let's be frank: beautiful people intimidate men. I tried to discuss my plight with my mother, but you can only imagine how that went. Like speaking French to an ancient Roman. We simply don't speak the same language. Sweet mom. She's a nice gal, but...well. She's not me.

Moving on.

Where was I? Oh. Right. Discussing myself.

Since we've last spoken, dear fans, I've only added to my resumé of why boys should court me. I hiked France's Grand Canyon. I also helped navigate us through it, but that's another story for another time. (if you're reading this, single, and like fast cars and bold women, you know where to reach me. Woof.) Ahem.So just one hour from L'Adret Du Ribas sits the second largest canyon in the world, Les Gorges Du Verdon. Just as Jesus knew you before you were born, since the beginning of doggone time my Papa has wanted to see this canyon. And this week, he got his wish. I don't have to tell you what having me along for the ride did to increase the "Oh My Gosh This Is a Dream Come True" Factor.At any rate, with every step I made onto a rocky ledge, with every breath I took as we climbed up an incline, with every cool breeze that hit my fur at these altitudes, I knew. I just knew. My hotness factor just increased 100 fold.

Bow chicka wow WOW!

Whew! Is it hot in here or is it just me? Oh. Right. It IS just me!


But on another note, one unrelated to my hotness but still related to me because this is MY BLOG and we all know you came here to READ ABOUT ME, the canyon was everything we'd hoped for and so much more.
In short: we conquered the dang thang! ***reaching over and giving Papa a high-five-paw***

We decided to make a whole trip out of it, leave the house and everything! So we packed a bag and I made mom my pack mule. She is SO good at carrying my stuff! Thanks, mama.

We drove out of Cabris and headed towards Castellane. It is a stunning village that sits in the shadow of a giant cliff with a church perched on top. We'd soon learn that essentially EVERY village is built around a chapel or a church. Mom found this really spirtutally encouraging and started drawing all of the biblical principles out about how the residents of the canyon couldn't help but build structures to worship the incredible God who created all of this stunning land...

Papa is a kill-joy and promptly launched into a history lesson about men building things to honor men and using the church as an excuse.

YAWN.

Anywho, we wound through the entire Rive Gauche and made our way to Moustiers St Marie, where we'd be staying for the night.
The village is AMAZING. Again, built in the shadow of a church. And this awesome star strung across the rocks hanging over the church. When the sunlight catches it at the end of the day it really draws your eye to it. How that ever got that sucker up there is beyond me....(click on photos to see star better)

Our dinner there is what really capped off the day. There was, I will admit, a wee bit of a spat at dinner. Papa announced that his food was better than what he had ordered at Bastide-St Antoine the evening prior. Well. Uhm. We all know how mom feels about St Antoine (she wants to get married there, for pete's sake) so when Papa opened his big mouth mama almost flipped the table over Real Housewives of New Jersey Style.

Luckily I was there.
As were the very distracting, "LOOK! OVER HERE! THIS RESTAURANT REALLY IS AMAZING" signs. And we all walked out alive. Barely. But alive. And full. We paused for a moment to take in how beautiful it looked lit up .... and yes, by ANOTHER church....
The next morning we had a lovely breakfast in the garden of the bastide where we stayed. We sat under an apple tree and next to a fig tree. Who needs plates? I just ate from the tree! (and again, adding to my Why I Am a Hot Chick resumé: I am totally a natural eater...sometimes.) After dinner we were on our way to the Rive Droite and man o man did it not dissapoint. From the moment we were back in the gorge we couldn't believe our eyes. It started as we drove around Lac St. Croix and over to Aiguines. Look at this view! This time...a church AND a chateau...

From there we stopped every moment we could to capture the best views possible. We were in the thick of the canyon as soon as we rounded a few twists and turns outside of Aiguines. Things like the Col D'Illoire (click here for a panoramic shot) just were so incredibly stunning.


About midway through we came to Pont De L'Artuby, the highest bridge in Europe. Naturally, I loved it. I asked if I could bungee jump but Papa was being sooooooo stingy....boooooorrrinnng!!!!

Whhhhheeeeee!!!
Soon we came to our final stop, Les Balcons de la Mescla. This made my mama very, very sad because she knew the adventure was coming to an end. Papa and I were excited because WE KNOW it is one of MANY we'll have in the canyon. Next year we're doing as many water sports as we can fit in....white water rafting, kayaking, the works! It was tough for mama AND papa to not be able to jump in all that crystal blue water b/c they love water so much...I will admit I know I was holding them back. I forgot my life jacket. Oops.

So we jumped out, walked down to les balcons (balconies) and took in the views. Oh, and broke out the woozies. Cause we're label loyal and like to brag about things we love.

Afterwards we made the final leg (less than an hour) back to Cabris and immediately Mom was back in the pool with a book (ok, two books). We enjoyed several hours in the sun, lots of story telling about our favorite memories from the canyon and then set out for dinner in Grasse.

We're back now, watching Papa's DVD's of "Noble House" and plotting what part of Southern France we'll conquer next....but before that happens....

You should know that in addition to hiking the second largest canyon on this planet, I also accomplished a number of other things today. The most important being that I conquered the alligator. Nothing - and I mean nothing - is a match for the Mae Mae. Remember that, peeps. You need something? Just call me.
Love, Licks and Alligator Free Swimming Pools,
The Mae
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. "I'm stunning. I get emotional just looking at myself. I can only imagine what it is like for you."

    DYING LAUGHING!

    uhm, i'm glad i haven't eaten dinner yet because i would have VOMITED when viewing that bridge.

    lanier, your DOG RUNS into head-on traffic on a daily basis and you let her roam around cliffs and rocks at OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH ALTITUDES?! what kind of MOTHER ARE YOU?!

    reading this post causes me to ponder...why the HECK does anybody come to visit America...?

    on a final note = when will i be invited to go to france? i mean...really.

    ReplyDelete