Let's cover all the reasons why. Wait. Let's just cover one. You'll get the gist.
Yup. That's me, The Mae. Eating out of a champagne glass. Need I say more?
Oh, peeps. We're here! The flight over was terrific. Papa and I slept our little hearts out. I also entertained the most delightful family with 3 small kids. They're on their way to St. Tropez and let's be honest, I almost went with them. The kids were all toddlers and were perfect angels all the way to Nice. Literally. Angels. How do I know? Because it takes an angel to recognize an angel. (Oh c'mon, you knew that was coming.)
Mama didn't sleep so well but who cares about her. As long as Papa's feeling good and I'm ready to roll, who needs Mom?
We hopped into our convertible, Mom started yammering on about how special this all was, and how good it felt to be back in the South of France and how she just can't believe it and how....THEN I BIT HER. I told you people, I wasn't going to put up with sap on this side of the pond. My Auntie Squooshle didn't get the No More Sap Memo. Looks like I'm going to have to re-send it. What is it with these two?
When Mom finally got it together and ditched the sap we were racing down the A8 towards our first adventure: Avignon. The drive was incredible and Papa, Mom and I couldn't believe how fast it flew by. And then we laid eyes on our incredible find...Les Frenes. Papa found it through some last minute research (And I do mean last minute. We verified the reservation AS WE WERE ON THE TARMAC AND THE PILOT WAS TELLING US TO TURN OFF OUR PHONES. And again, what's French for ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY?
Crazy, yes. But smart about finding amazing places? HECK YES. The garden at Les Frenes has capture my mom's heart.
We had lunch just inside the garden and clearly mom made a fool of herself over every bite.
Papa has always dreamed of seeing Le Palais Du Papes. Holy cow, was it awesome. Who knew that the Vatican moved the popes here in the early 1300's? And that for a time, there were TWIN Popes! One in France and one back in Italy. I learned so much today. I'm thinking about hosting guided tours starting tomorrow.
Unfortunately the fun touristy moments were not to last. While Papa and Mom are total history nerds and were doing all they could to take in every bit of knowledge...it was SO BLASTED HOT. I mean insanely hot. Worst thing ever! Mom finally looked at Papa and admitted defeat. So we've been resting back at Les Frenes tonight....
Who knows what we'll discover tomorrow. I can hardly wait to find out.
Love and Licks From the Best Place on Earth,
The Mae
XOXO
i am so JEAAAALOUS!!!!! some people get all the luck. i mean. some dogs....
ReplyDeleteLOVE it!
ReplyDelete